Friday, July 17, 2009

//He didn't call me for a few weeks. This was customary within our friendship, confide and retreat, but I wondered. I wondered if perhaps our last conversation had been an overture. Not the conversation, exactly, but the silences within it. There had been many dark pits of tea-sipping silence; looking back, I could imagine placing my hand on his hand while kneeling in one of those dark pits. And in such a pit could one even be sure what one was doing? One might seek solace in a friend and literally go inside this friend to get the solace; and the friend, being old and familiar, might give especially good solace.


an excerpt from:
How to Tell Stories to Children
-Miranda July


-------------------------------------------

In other news, I'm still five hundred miles away swimming in the gulf and its oh so similar bath water that just happens to be doused with salt. It's been nice though, really. In fact, Monday we had a swell camping trip on an island a few miles from shore. And also, had a sandcastle contest, which I think my cousin and I won hands down. (But seriously, ours was spectacular. It had an aquarium and everything.) That Wednesday I caught a fourteen pound shark, which my dear brother helped me reel in since they put up a pretty brutal fight. Sadly though, we handed it off to the neighbor in exchange for the grouper he reeled in. The other days upon days have been spent tubing in said salty bath water, kayaking, and running. Needless to say, despite the fun, I'm ready to get things moving elsewhere. Florida's great, but not somewhere I want to live for more than three weeks. I believe I'm leaving Thursday/Friday.





//it's time i let you in. 'cause it's time i start changin'.

No comments: