Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Don't speak to me about where I lay my head.

As of lately, my time has consisted of Lifetime and hot tea. Of course there is the occasional Bravo network program, but mostly just hate-filled feminist movies/series. It certainly rekindles the nostalgia of eighth grade and the years of high school as my best friend and I would spend our Saturdays watching Lifetime movies that normally consist of teenage pregnancy, rape, physical abuse, or some other catastrophe plaguing women. What a week.
-------------
My friend told me this evening [SATURDAY OCTOBER 25] that a study was taken and it showed that people at an event who felt as if someone was listening to them, i.e. paying them attention, generally had a better time at said event. Now, this is relatively easy to grasp I'm sure and for the most part it's common sense, but think about how often we're at events or in a crowd and we just simply exist without interacting. I know I am clearly one of those people more than I would like to be. Such as earlier tonight for instance.

There was a bonfire at a friend's house with a good many people I'd say. I knew, for the most part, a good number of people in attendance, but I think I talked to maybe a handful if that. Also, by talking, I mean the casual 'hey' and 'how are you' conversations that normally lead to you just standing there idly by or with the other person walking off to converse with someone else. Now, I think if I really felt as if someone was going to listen, I would probably talk more. And perhaps I should be the one engaging people and stop existing. I just have to get out of that tiny box.

I listen more than I talk. Sometimes I wonder how bad that trait may be.


I need more hot tea.

No comments: